Thursday, October 30, 2008

Hard work and commitment do pay off

Ten months ago, on Jan 1, 2008 I took the rather drastic decision of quitting my secure job at a local newspaper and striking it off as a freelancer, dabbling in multimedia and new media tools.

During this time, I used the internet to learn and develop skills needed in this fascinating arena. I have been following several blogs, spent entire nights viewing hundreds of multimedia work, participated in the Panos South Asia multimedia workshop and most important of all, together with my friend and mentor Alito Siqueria of the Goa University, got a group of enthusiastic young minds together under the name of GoCreat, to conduct Digital Storytelling (DST) workshops in the community - thus sharing our own knowledge in visual literacy.

It appears all of the work is now bearing fruit. I have just got news that GoCreat will receive a small grant for equipment, from the Toyota Foundation. This will enable our group to buy a few laptops, cameras and recorders to do some more work in DST in the community.

At a time when newspapers in the West are going through bad times, I feel fortunate that I have the chance to develop something exciting in New Media.

I started dabbling in multimedia back in Jan 2008. I intend to continue dabbling in 2009 and beyond, perhaps more seriously. After all, with "dabbling" and experimentation alone come fresh breakthroughs.

No comments: