Saturday, July 4, 2009

Unethical Publishing Practices in India

I received a call from Better Photography magazine on Friday July 3, with an urgent requirement of a top-quality image that "defined Goa" and would "make photographers want to come to this coastal tourist state in western India." The image was to go with an article on Goa in the magazine.


After a quick email interaction (reproduced below), I was shocked to learn they wanted the images for free! This coming from India's top magazine dedicated to photography enthusiasts and with ads from the majors like Canon and Nikon. What was even more shocking is the reason for the no fee policy - the magazine I was told, had an estimated readership of 150,000. Hence, I suppose, photographers should feel privileged to have their images published.

I felt the need to post my response to this blog to inform others about this major scam. If sufficient photographers and creative individuals let it be known this is unacceptable business practice, perhaps the scene could be changed.

Here is my response to the email from Better Photography:

Hi Neha,

I am very happy to hear of the readership figures of Better Photography magazine. However I am also disturbed over the policy to use images without any fees.

As a professional working in the field, I believe your 'no fees' policy for photographs solicited from individuals (amateurs and professionals) is a bit skewed. While on the one hand BP informs people on making good images, on the other hand the magazine will not support the livelihood of those working in the same field?

At a cover price of Rs 100 and supported by ads of majors in photography, the publication is purely commercial and not a non-profit. As such, not paying for images and to say that photographers should be happy with 'publicity' in the form of a credit line "given the 150,000 odd readership", is an un-ethical business practice.

If viewership figures is the only criteria then photographers would be better off with images on Flickr where the hits are in the millions and visibility much higher. But of course, for us in the field, it's not just about visibility but also hard cash.

Unfortunately, this practice is being followed by more and more reputed publications - newspapers, magazines and journals, stepping on the already flattened stomachs of photographers and other creative individuals and, in particular, photojournalists.

But as a premier photography publication in India, Better Photography would be expected to do better.

I do hope BP changes its policy to show the way for other publications in India. If not you may just be killing the industry already reeling from editorial cuts in mainstream publications.

In the meanwhile, I must decline having my images published in BP for free.

Sincerely,

Gasper DSouza
gasperdesouza.com


Here are the previous emails (in reverse cronological order) to make the scenario clear:

Hello Gasper,

Our publication is purely an educative one, meant for hobbyists and
enthusiasts. Our magazine is a well-read journal of 160 pages. We
print around 25,000 copies and every single copy is read by around 5-7
people, making our readership about 150,000. We get some advertising
in our magazine, which allows us to keep our cover price to INR 100.
And our aim is to showcase good photography. In light of this, we do
not offer a fee.

However, the prerogative to decline is entirely yours. But if you feel
you would be comfortable sharing the image with us please send us an
original high resolution file of the image.

Warm Regards
Neha
Email requesting terms and my normal publishing fee:
Hi Neha,

I can send you the high res images as required from my archives. Give me a couple of hours.

Meanwhile, since this is the first time, do let me know your terms of use etc. My normal magazine per image rate is .....

regards
#gasper

Response requesting high-res files of two photographs (no mention of terms).

Hello Gasper,

These are the images we would like to publish. I am attaching the image as well as the tag from the link you have sent.

The tag is : Other_Goa_12.jpg

The images should be 8x10-inches for Vertical images and 17x11.5-inches for Horizontal images at 300 dpi, so that if any image needs to be used a full-page bleed or as a double spread, we can.

Warm Regards
Neha


Initial email from me, following telephonic conversation, requesting images on Goa:

Hey Neha,

Sending you a few low-res pics that I dug out. Also check out the feature at: http://www.gasperdesouza.com/features/othergoa.htm

Let me know if any meet your requirements and terms of publishing. I can send you high-res file once finalised.

#gasper
I am all for helping causes and actively work in community media but I do not think a big media house is a "cause" that deserves free work - whether photography or other creative forms of expression.

I leave it to readers to judge.

NOTE: Better Photography is published by Infomedia 18 Ltd who also publish other big magazines like Chip (IT) and Overdrive (auto) with indirect control by TV 18 (CNBC TV 18 and CNBC Awaaz)

7 comments:

David Leeson said...

You took the proper stance. I think it's ridiculous that any for profit publication would believe it is okay to ask others to do it for free. Nonetheless, like you, I have done some things gratis. My criteria for doing anything without payment is based on a balance of two things:

1) will this help further my career? (and thus, have long Or short term benefits for myself and those who depend on my support.)
2) am I passionate about my belief in the "cause?" (and thus, hopefully help provide long term benefits for the greater good.)

In consideration that this is a photo magazine unwilling to offer financial support for the business they "represent" then they would certainly fail my "cause" clause.

And you know as well as I that an image in their magazine certainly isn't going to advance your career. In my opinion, you advanced yoursel AND "the cause" by politely declining and then sharing it with the rest of us.

Kudos. Better things await.

David Leeson
Dallas, Texas USA

homeingoa said...

You did a good thing Gasper. All photographers should join hands and not fall for these big publishing houses.

Creativity today has no value and we should all join hands to increase it. People in India dont value your time and creativity.

menopausal_ballerina said...

yes i echo the comment by David Leeson.

i wonder how many photographers have refused to give them their images for the same reason.

Alisha

cyndy green said...

This is an unfortunate trend in the US. So many people want and/or believe they can be pros due to the proliferation of fairly high quality automatic digital cameras that it is hard to find gigs that pay a living wage. "Contests" and "tryouts" abound - "do this for us to prove you can."

If enough people took your stance, there would eventually be a clear delineation between real pros and wanna-bes.

As a teacher I refuse to allow my students to take on productions that have a budget and might take away support from local production houses/videographers. (I also let both them and the non-profit organizations we do work for know the value of the work done.)

PRAVIN SABNIS (Goa,India) said...

Right response, Gasper!
People who sell, can expect to buy for free...
their projected readership seems hype BUT if it is true they can afford to pay handsomely to contributors who help hook the readers...

Unknown said...

A photography magazine requesting a free image is the strangest request I have heard off. If photography is not valued enough to be paid for as a service, how will professional full time photographers earn their keep?
Asking for a free image is virtually devaluing or brushing aside the creativity and thought that a photographer puts into their work.

Anonymous said...

Congrats for your stand! I whole-heartedly agree with the views of David Leeson, Lillian DCosta and Cyndy Green.
It is high time Indian publishers started paying for the content they want to use, especially those running niche magazines.