Friday, August 29, 2008

An attempt at poetry


The Old House is my first attempt at some poetry to go with my images and I was quite happy with what came off it. (Watch it presentation here). I had shot the images of old abandoned houses for an exhibition I did with a group "GoaPhotogs".

The experience of putting together this multimedia piece was exhillirating. Once I took up the production there was no putting it down until it was complete. I must have recorded at least 8 versions of my voice over track.

A key consideration for me, as a beginning multimedia journalist, is the use of sound. The audio track is one of the most important aspects to master and for this, I listen to audio programmes on NPR over internet radio. The idea I am trying to incorporate is to have a strong enough audio, such that it could go as a standalong piece. Not sure how much I've managed it in this piece, but I hope to get there.

Software I've used were - Soundslides (from Joe Weiss) and Audacity (freeware). I've used free sound from freeplaymusic.com (for the background score) and freesounds.org (for sound effects like thunder and crackling leaves). I like the concept of freesounds.org and think I'll contribute some of my effects to the database as I go along.

Regarding the issue of people abandoning their houses itself, I can't seem to really get to terms with it. I was deeply moved when I entered one such home and saw an old portrait (possibly the head of the household), lying on the floor, broken glass, right next to an image of the Virgin Mary.

I mean, I know it's mainly people who migrate to foreign countries and their children who never really know about their roots. But my thoughts are with the "houses" that are abandoned thus, to be claimed by the elements of nature or slimy builders. And Goa's full of such abandoned homes.

Check out the multimedia piece on my website.

1 comment:

preeti said...

saw "the old house". Liked it.Congratulations and hope to see more.